Edited from an original post on RenWeb.com - June 30, 2016
Do you have a few extra minutes? Here are 10 important things you can update on your school website this weekend:
- Don’t bother with a generic contact form on your Contact page. On the other hand, do include a link to your online inquiry form. Many schools duplicate their efforts by providing both, but why give prospective families an option not to officially inquire? Keep your funnel streamlined.
- Check the small stuff. You’d be surprised how many schools neglect to include basic information on their homepages. How many grade levels do you have? Are you a faith-based or denominational school? An independent school? Be sure prospective families can get an instant snapshot of who you are.
- Update your staff directory. And add staff photos while you’re at it! Prospective parents love to put faces with names.
- Put a map on your Contact page. Learn how to embed a Google Map here.
- Check your school calendar. Are you still displaying last year’s events? Start adding events for the 2016-2017 school year as soon as possible so prospective families know what to expect.
- Is everything else current? Do you still have pages referencing school policies from two or three years ago? When is the last time you updated the photos on your site?
- Create an FAQ or “day in the life” page. Prospective families that may not be able to visit for a campus tour right away will love seeing or reading about the typical day at your school. A short campus tour video is a great addition to this page.
- Add an email subscription form to your Alumni page. Development is firmly entrenched in multi-channel campaigns now and you must keep comprehensive, segmented lists to be sure you’re targeting the right people. If you want to get even fancier, add a text message opt-in box to the form and look into mobile fundraising options for 2016-2017.
- Is your website mobile-friendly enough? Google’s handy test will let you know what you’re doing right and what areas need improvement.
- Quick! Do you have an online inquiry button visible on your homepage? Add one immediately!